baby shower invites

So I love reading blogs, not only for the entertainment, but for the pleasing images and inspiration I get from them!
I read this blog, of this lovely gal who crafts a bajillion cute things!  All the time she's creating and creating!  I'm in love with the Christmas party invites she made here and so I wanted to try one for myself.
My sis-in-law is due in May and we are having a shower for her, here are the invites I took a crack at!...

 Images via iPhone and a lovely new app I don't know how I lived without called "Diptic".  It creates the diptic so easily for you with these beautiful clean layouts available in all different sizes!

Ok, now would you like to know how this fun creation is done?!
It's sooo simple!
Here is what you will need:
Light colored fabric
qtips
a metal spoon
acetone
your print (printed on a LASER printer backwards)
scissors
thread

1. Create your print, invitation, picture, etc, etc and flip the canvas backward for printing.  Print on a LASER print (must be laser to transfer)
2. Rub the acetone on the letters pressed against your fabric(of course it has to be light so that the words will show up) and rub hard w/ the back and sides of a spoon to transfer the letters for readability. Continue over and again with the acetone, spoon process, checking slightly the shade of the letters until you think its done...  (I know this sounds really weird to use a spoon, but when I first started it, I only rubbed with the qtips and there wasnt enough pressure and exactness.  I tried a few different household randoms lying around and the spoon worked wonders for me!)
3. For a completed look, sew the edges of the fabric in a stitch and thread color you like!  I liked the distressed feeling of the worn fabric so I frayed and wore the edges a bit and then sewed a simple rolling, light pink stitch for completion!
Oh and also, word to the wise, if you do print words like I did, make sure your letters and font are large enough and clear enough to transfer easily.  I used a really small font at first and did about 10 testers before I finally realized why it was smearing and not legible!; the letters were far too small!  But once I got it right the full project probably took me about 30-40 min for 13 invites!  Not too shabby.
What do you think?!  Will any of you try this for your next craftiness project?!

No comments: